"O you who sit in gardens, My companions are listening for your voice... let me hear it!" Song of Songs

Friday, March 18, 2011

Stories from the "Chair"

I started this blog a few years ago and I really didn't know what to do with it, or if I was even capable of writing anything. So... here I am trying to start again... inspired by all those faithful bloggers and people who have interesting things to say.

I have dicided to write about stories from the "Chair." I am a hairdresser and have had A LOT of ineresting conversations with people in my chair over the years. I'm hoping I can remember some of their stories to share.

For instance, today I heard one of them. I was feeling out of sorts today, not in a very good mood. In fact the whole week has had some interesting highs and significant lows. Here comes this lovely little man who has been in the salon many times to see other stylists, but today I got my turn with cutting his hair. He totally brightened my day. He is elderly and I'm sure close to 90. With a cane in hand he struggles to sit in my chair and we start to discuss his haircut breifly, and conversation insues... First he was telling me of a time period of when he lived in Nevada and an Indian woman cut his hair with a razor. But I was more interested in what work he use to do so I asked what he did at the time. He said he was in the Army and worked with the Police department and the FBI to supply them with necessary equipment for special assignments. I asked him to explain what kind of "assignments" ... "Well," he said "you remember the incident where that man made all those people drink poisen and die?" I said, "you mean Jim Jones?" "Yes," he said "that was a botched job... they were planning to go in and take him down. They would have saved all those people, but the Governer at the time had tried to talk to Jim Jones and warn him. That is why he did what he did, because he knew they were coming to get him. He said the Governer felt sorry for him and that is what killed all those people." Wow... super interesting and very sad story.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, just one little tidbit of all the messed up politics we don't even know about.

    ReplyDelete